[RndTbl] Subdomain wildcard in Bind-style DNS editing

Hartmut W Sager hwsager at marityme.net
Tue Jul 23 20:29:52 CDT 2024

I have a question about subdomain wildcards in Bind-style DNS editing, so that I can more conveniently edit DNS zone files to implement Fastmail's support of MX records specifying "*.mydomain.com." for e-mail at subdomains.  (Yes, Fastmail's documentation states their support for this.)

Now, in Bind-style DNS, we have valid short notations for full FQDN in the name field (the left side) as follows:

"@" = "mydomain.com."
"abc" = "abc.mydomain.com."

So my question is, might the following also be valid?

"*" = "*.mydomain.com."
"*.@" = "*.mydomain.com."

Hartmut