[RndTbl] Subdomain wildcard in Bind-style DNS editing

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed Jul 24 01:32:43 CDT 2024

On 2024-07-23 Hartmut W Sager wrote:
> Now, in Bind-style DNS, we have valid short notations for full FQDN
> in the name field (the left side) as follows:
>
> "@" = "mydomain.com."
> "abc" = "abc.mydomain.com."
>
> So my question is, might the following also be valid?
>
> "*" = "*.mydomain.com."
> "*.@" = "*.mydomain.com."

Yes, if your origin is still mydomain.com (which it should be), then *
means *.mydomain.com.

Search "wildcard" in bind9 docs
https://bind9.readthedocs.io/en/v9.18.13/chapter6.html

*   IN MX 10 external1.example.com.

They use it in terms of a bastion host and internal views (probably not
your situation).  But the syntax would be valid regardless.

I'm not sure about *.@ so I'd just not use it.

My #1 word of advice is don't forget to increase your serial# by one
each edit!  LOL (I always forget)

My question for you(/others) is doesn't
    IN    MX      5 example.com.
in effect already mean: