[RndTbl] ECC - 8 chips?

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Tue Dec 1 17:52:46 CST 2015

I'm doing some ECC RAM shopping on ebay (as per prev postings).

I came across something weird.  There's a stick showing up in various
places that claims to be ECC but all pics (and the physical unit, I've
confirmed) have only 8 (or 16) DRAM chips, not 9 or 18.

Does this make any sense to anybody?  Is this possible??

The stick is Kingston KTH-XW4400E6/2G

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kingston-KTH-XW4400E6-2G-2GB-ECC-DDR2-800-240-pin-SDRAM-HP-Server-Memory-Module/13214501
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221949985186?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134842
specifically says in "overview" it has "Error Checking and Correcting
Technology"

Kingston has discontinued this part and it's hard to even find on the site
anymore, but here's:

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/hyperx_us/partsinfo.asp?root=&ktcpartno=KTH-XW4400E6/2G
says x72 ECC
The equiv HP #'s they provide all show up on the net as 9 chip, so this
Kingston stick should be ecc.

??? WTF?