[RndTbl] ECC - 8 chips?

Hartmut W Sager hwsager at marityme.net
Tue Dec 1 18:26:06 CST 2015

Off the top, I'd say don't touch it!  It could be a revival of those
fraudulent "phantom parity" stick that were marketed long ago, though I
can't imagine Kingston or HP engaging in that fraud.

There is, however, one way these could be ECC after all.  If the 4 chips on
one end are the main data chips, and the other 4 chips at the other end are
of much lower capacity and carry the parity bits.  Unfortunately, on the
eBay pic, a sticker is covering all 4 chips at one end, so you can't
compare.

Oh, there is one other (not uncommon) possibility - some lower capacity
chips on the back of the DIMM to carry the parity bits.  Do we have a pic
of the back anywhere?

Hartmut W Sager - Tel +1-204-339-8331