[RndTbl] Intel leaving desktop mobo business

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Mon Mar 3 01:44:40 CST 2014

This is somewhat old news, but I don't recall it being brought up via any
of the MUUG channels yet.

Last year Intel announced is was going to stop selling Intel
branded desktop motherboards.  Haswell (4th gen i-series) is its last
offering.  No new boards will be brought out after 2014.

NOTE!  This only applies to actual Intel-branded motherboards which very
few people outside the channel (local resellers, not stores) will have
even ever seen.  This does NOT apply to any 3rd party (ie "Tawain Inc.")
mobo makers like Asus, Gigabyte, etc.  Intel will continue to make desktop
chipsets and CPUs and provide them to Asus, Gigabyte, Dell, etc.  This
also does not apply to Intel server/workstation boards, which will
continue to be made/sold.

I don't think anyone will mourn their passing.  I've had mixed results
with Intel-branded desktop boards.  They had just as many badcaps as
everyone else.  They were always just rebadged Foxconns anyways :-)
(Their server boards, I should mention in contrast, are superb.)