[RndTbl] Shaw now blocking SMTP port 25

Shawn Wallbridge shawn at synack-hosting.com
Wed May 23 07:14:07 CDT 2007

On 22-May-07, at 10:02 PM, Trevor Cordes wrote:

> Shaw is now blocking OUTGOING port 25 (SMTP) to anything except
> their own
> mail server (shawmail.wp.shawcable.net).  This is similar to what
> MTS did
> about a year ago.
>
> This is only affecting one of my customers right now, so you may or
> may
> not be affected already.  The Shaw rep says that it should be
> affecting
> all non-business-class customers.  Obviously that's baloney because my
> personal home system still has working port 25 access.
>
> Incoming port 25 appears to be open (unlike MTS which for some
> retarded
> reason thinks incoming port 25 is a spam risk).
>
> As when MTS did this, I think it's complete nonsense and a clear
> example
> of net bigotry.  Complain to your Shaw rep today!

While I agree it is inconvenient, I would have to disagree that it is
nonsense or 'net bigotry'. After watching my mail server logs, I
honestly have to say that I wish _All_ ISP's did this to some extent.
The fact that probably 50% (if not more) of the spam hitting my mail
servers comes from consumer DSL/Cable lines is reason enough to block
it IMHO.

Being both a SysAdmin and operating a hosting company, it is a pain
for me to explain to  clients how to send mail with Shaw or MTS's (or
SBC or whichever ISP they are with) SMTP server and receive mail with
my POP/IMAP servers, I still think it's for the better.

And I am with Shaw, but I have been using an SSH tunnel to check my
mail for a few years now, so it's no big deal to me.

shawn