[*] 10Mbit speed - Shaw QoS Fraud?

LES.NET (1996) INC. voip at les.net
Thu Sep 7 12:06:11 CDT 2006

Just spoke with the shaw business people.  QoS is not available for
business customers as a directive from Calgary.

The tech I spoke with described the QoS service as a packet priority
scheme, and said that QoS monitoring signal levels doesnt make any sense.

I informed him that Customer service reps have been describing it as such,
and he said he would inform the supervisors there about this incorrect
information.

However, I did not provide any hook to follow up on this.  Mainly because
I have business service, so there is no way for me to actively participate
in testing this, unless I get a residential modem installed at home, which
may be

Les.
> On 9/7/06, Bill Reid <billreid at shaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Sean Walberg wrote:
>> > Fraud at worst, misleading at best.
>>
>> This certainly sounds like marketing spin.
>

> I disagree (and I'm sure Seth Godin would have an essay or two to write
> about this if I'm wrong).
>
> http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsServices/Internet/ServiceEnhancement.htm
>
> clearly indicates that problem with third party VoIP providers (and VoIP
> in
> general) is of bandwidth contention and packet loss, which can be solved
> by
> purchasing the "Service Enhancement".  If the product does nothing to
> solve
> these problems, as is suggested earlier in the thread(s), then it's a
> clear
> case of misrepresentation and not "spin".  It would be no different if
> they
> claimed the service cured warts.
>
> Sean
>

> --