[RndTbl] setting up RAID 1 with mdadm

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Thu Oct 4 13:33:47 CDT 2018

On 04/10/2018 1:23 PM, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
> Thanks, Scott.
>
> One of the steps in the tutorial is to save the MD RAID configuration in
> /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf. They suggest using "sudo mdadm --detail --scan |
> sudo tee -a /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf", which I did. In your approach, that
> step isn't done. Is this a detail that pvcreate looks after for you,
> either by adding to that file itself, or saving the setup elsewhere?

No, the LVM commands will not affect MD configuration at all.  Strictly
speaking, the mdadm.conf file (location may vary, depending on distro)
isn't necessary.  Without it, the MD arrays will still be detected and
assembled at boot time, but you may get different device names assigned
to them (e.g. /dev/md127, instead of /dev/md0).

If you want consistent device names, it's best to have the mdadm.conf
file.  (If you're going to use UUID's or logical volume names to refer
to your devices, then the actual assigned md device name doesn't matter.)

Gilbert

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail:	<gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca>
Dept. of Computer Science	Web:	http://www.cs.umanitoba.ca/~gedetil/