[RndTbl] recommendations for 4k video card under Linux

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Sat Apr 7 11:08:43 CDT 2018

(Top-posting to save time, sorry)

You need HDMI 2.1 for guaranteed 5k support.  IIRC, HDMI 2.0 guaranteed
4k support.
When I say "guaranteed", I don't mean "HDMI Assoc. says it'll work", I
mean "yes, it's going to work in the real world".

Hanging a non-passthrough DP monitor off of a passthrough-capable
monitor is exactly the use case that feature is designed for.

I sincerely hope that TB3 takes over as a video cabling standard and
finally replaces both DP and HDMI, but I don't really think it'll
happen...  in any case a single 40GBps TB3 connection still only
supports 1 x 5k or 2 x 4k displays.

-Adam