[RndTbl] GnuCash crash on secret payload in XML file

Glen Ditchfield GJDitchfield at acm.org
Mon Mar 13 19:03:11 CDT 2017

On Monday, March 13, 2017 6:27:53 PM CDT Hartmut W Sager wrote:
> Oooh, thanks, this is valuable!  I will experiment further with what you
> did.  And I presume that this is within the specs or design intentions of
> GnuCash, so that it should remain usable in further GnuCash versions?

Usable compared to hand-rolled FoxPro?

But, yeah, I'd go with it.  "It's been the (unfortunate) practice through most
of Gnucash 2's development to use KVP to add or extend new variables to
Gnucash because doing so allows older versions of Gnucash to open the data
file."  (http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/what-is-the-table-slots-good-for-td4658122.html)

Keep in mind that GnuCash has database back-ends, too.  I wouldn't trust the
front end to handle anything unless all the back ends support it.  There's
some weak documentation at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash_XML_format
and https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/SQL.