[RndTbl] new ECC computer options

Kevin McGregor kevin.a.mcgregor at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 09:04:34 CST 2017

Now that Ryzen has been officially released, I've found some answers.

Ryzen does support ECC. The current batch of models does. However, AMD has
not "certified" it to work in the same way they test their server models
(of previous gens). Future Zen-architecture models for the server market
will be "certified" by AMD to work with ECC.

This is no different from past architectures, meaning that like in the past
motherboard manufacturers will produce AM4 boards which fully support ECC
(at a reasonable price) and are "certified" to work with ECC *by the
motherboard manfacturer*.

So, I'm just going to wait a few months for the dust to settle then buy a
Ryzen with an ECC-capable motherboard.

Kevin