[RndTbl] Linux "write"

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed Jun 28 02:51:14 CDT 2017

Can someone else confirm this bug on another Linux system, preferably a
modern one that uses systemd?

In X, as non-root:

open a term (call it term1)
open another term (term2)
type "tty" in term2, not your tty number/string
in term1: type "write <your-login> <tty-string-from-above>"

replace your-login with the output of "who" if you don't know who you are
logged in as

please try both /dev/pts/42 and pts/42 format for the tty part of write

example: write trevor pts/42

When I run this I get:
write: trevor is not logged in on pts/42

Even though I clearly am.  This used to work perfectly up until last year
(I think), and I think systemd changed something (big surprise).  No
chatter about this anywhere that I can see.  Probably the last person on
earth to use write (at least on F24).

I found some other things to test that indicate that something is really
amiss:

>write trevor
write: trevor has messages disabled

>mesg
is y

>mesg y
mesg
is y

>write trevor
write: trevor has messages disabled

>ll /dev/pts/42
crw--w---- 1 trevor tty 136, 42 Jun 28 02:48 /dev/pts/42

If someone else can confirm this bug on a non-Fedora (or a newer one) that
would be great.  If someone can also confirm that the above behaviour is
insane, that too would be great.  If anyone has some ideas on what to try
next, shoot away!  Then I'll file a bz.  Thanks!