[RndTbl] new ECC computer options

Brock Wolfe obwolfe at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 28 13:40:16 CST 2017

I spent a considerable amount of time recently looking at Workstation
grade setups to support a major 3D CAD package as well as support CGI
rendering and transcoding.  The major difference is whether you want to
support multiple video cards X3 or X4 to support multi-GPU processing
(ie.OpenCL).  If not, then a mid-range board (ASUS etc.) that supports
ECC (or not) processor is good enough.

The more important question is how much money you want to put into the
processor.

If your workload to be mostly single threaded (CAD work), then a
mainstream quad processor (with the highest clock speed) is the best.
The motherboard can overclock dynamically to get the best performance.

If your going to use software or application that can work mult-treaded
(ie. rendering/transcoding) , then moving up to a server grade processor
that supports 8+ cores (and the highest affordable clock speed) is going
to make a REAL difference.  When rendering  a single CGI frame takes an
hour and you need 300 frames for 10 seconds of video, the
seconds/minutes saved add up quickly.

Another approach is to see if your software supports (built-in)
clustering capability.  For example Blender can be configured to create
(Master/Slave/Client) nodes that can create a rending cluster on to
other available machines.  The heavy lifting is off-loaded, saving your
workstation to continue on content creation.