[RndTbl] wacky NFS port problem

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Mon Oct 24 05:34:35 CDT 2016

On 2016-10-24 Adam Thompson wrote:
> Also, most distros now seem to have a service called 'portreserve'
> that runs very early in the boot process, grabs all the critical
> ports  and then lets them go one by one as other services start up
> and ask for them. I recall from my reading that RPC and NFS were the
> primary reason this thing existed. -Adam

Ya, I think systemd has something like that... not sure why it's not
working by default, although how would it know I have imap on vs just
pop and imaps vs just imap.  Seems like an impossible problem since
lower layers shouldn't be parsing higher layer conf files...

I guess I'll hit the systemd docs, if they exist, about this feature,
to see if that could do it for me.  However, I'm glad I also have my
other workaround as I don't trust systemd not to mess up their feature
(change syntax, semantics, etc) in the future as they've done to me
sooooo many times.