[RndTbl] Ubuntu desktop vs server.

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Tue Oct 18 08:15:33 CDT 2016

There’s nothing terribly wrong with using Ubuntu as a desktop – at the very least, it has good hardware support, and it’s now the leading desktop (AFAIK) so 3rd parties (like Google) support it.

I recommend you stick to the LTS versions unless you like living on the bleeding edge.

However, there is generally no such thing as a GUI that runs on a desktop to let you manage a server.  Unlike Windows, your choice of desktop/server combination is largely irrelevant here.

If you pick Ubuntu Server or Debian, you’ll get a reasonably-stable, well-supported server that uses the same command-line tools as your desktop for management.

If you pick RHEL/CentOS for your server, you’ll get a reasonably-stable, well-supported server that uses 90% of the same command-line tools as your desktop for management.

If you want a GUI to manage a server, you’re largely limited to tools like Webmin (www.webmin.com <http://www.webmin.com> ) and its ilk, and at that point, you could as easily manage your server from an iPad as from an Ubuntu desktop.

-Adam