[RndTbl] Current and recent cool-running Intel and AMD CPU's

Wyatt Zacharias wyatt at magitech.ca
Wed Oct 12 23:53:28 CDT 2016

There's a couple things that determine the heat output of a cpu, the main
factor is simply the TDP design of the chip. Since every cpu is basically
just a glorified heating element that runs code, you can determine the
approximate amount of heat the chip will make by looking at the amount of
power it's designed to use.

Wikipedia says the turion line has a TDP between 25-35W depending on model.
Most desktop chips are running anywhere from 60-120W. Now my thinkpad has
an i7-3720QM which I would certainly classify as a "high performance high
GHz CPU" and its TDP is only 45W. Combined with the adequately sized heat
sink, and the new power management features Intel puts in their chips, my
laptop barely gets warm doing daily tasks, running tasks with the dedicated
gpu is a different story of course.

Keep in mind the TDP is the max consumption of the chip, various power
management features and the load on the chip will change output. My i7 can
go up to 3.5ghz, but the power management will reduce that to about 1ghz of
the load is low, and that makes a big difference in heat and power
consumption.

--
Wyatt Zacharias (mobile)