[RndTbl] strange IMAP / G3 problem

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Tue Mar 8 11:07:56 CST 2016

This may be a dumb question, but have you tried deleting the settings
for that mail server from the 4S, and reconfiguring it from scratch?
Does the problem persist after that? It sounds like something got hosed
in iOS's settings. While I haven't seen exactly this problem, I have on
previous occasions seen problems go away when reconfiguring a server's
settings.

On 03/07/2016 04:39 PM, Trevor Cordes wrote:
> On 2016-03-07 John Lange wrote:
>> I don't have an answer but part of your premise confuses me. You
>> said: "He can connect via ... in-home wifi over vpn to office, and
>> shaw open wifi outside". if he can connect on public wifi (Shaw), why
>> does he need a VPN to connect from home? And why did you mention Shaw
>> public wifi specifically? Why not all public wifi?
> Ya, I could have worded that better.  I was just listing our actual
> test scenarios.
>
> He'd (most likely) be able to connect with all public wifi.  He's only
> tested shaw's free wifi so far.
>
> The original server in question he's trying to connect to is his home
> server.  He has a permanent VPN connecting home server to office server
> (and lan to lan).  That's what the "vpn to..." was about.  So whether
> he's at home or office (wired or wifi) he can connect to any computer
> on either lan as though he was local.
>
>> where a valid certificates name does not match the domain name. I've
>> commonly seen this in situations where a phone connects to an
>> internal Wifi and the phone does a DNS lookup for an external name,
> Ya, I've seen the same thing, but newer iOS makes it easier to connect
> to self-signed.  (Android makes it dead easy.)  But in the last test I
> outlined just prior to this email we eliminated the cert as the culprit.
>
>> One solution is to manually install the certificate on the iPhone.
> Ya, he had done that anyway.  (Our fun problem after that was how to
> get rid of it!  Apparently you have to reset your whole iphone to do
> that!  But it's not relevant to the real-cert test scenario.)
>

> If someone has a 4S and wants to help us out I can email you some quick
> test creds and server info if you want to see if you can connect.  It
> would at least tell us if Brad's 4S has been compromised or is dying
> or something.
>
> Thanks guys!

Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>
Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW:    http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/
Dept. of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Faculty of Health Sciences,
Univ. of Manitoba  Winnipeg, MB  R3E 0J9  (Canada)