[RndTbl] Weird code showing up in bash history

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Sat Jan 30 14:53:17 CST 2016

On 2016-01-30 05:11 AM, Trevor Cordes wrote:
> On 2016-01-29 Adam Thompson wrote:
>> I am not personally familiar with it, but it seems very clear that
>> it's something being executed by BMC ADDM
> This isn't supposed to happen in properly-working scripts.  Either the
> shell itself, or your rc files, should recognize it's not a human tty
> and not log its history.  I'm pretty sure your app must be doing some
> weird stuff to the shell to make it log its history.  Probably some
> poking around in the source could disable that.

I've seen similar behaviour from the SolarWinds Application Performance
Monitoring product: it explicitly allocates a TTY when ssh'ing to a
monitored host (every 5 bloody minutes...) just in case any commands
would otherwise fail.  Hence bash thinks it's a human logging in and
records the commands.  Blech.

--
-Adam Thompson
  athompso at athompso.net