[RndTbl] UI convention to show collapsible content (+ and - icons vs left/right and down arrows)

Fortress Software Inc. fortress at matchomatics.com
Sun Jan 3 17:34:31 CST 2016

(Adam, Trevor, and MUUG round table, I have added you to this discussion
for you valuable input.)

My kids and I have been discussing proper icons to distinguish
collapsible content on the web (specifically on one of my new mobile
friendly/responsive web pages:
http://matchomatics.com/index.php?country=canada&page=why-matchomatics).

Our discussions were for which icons identify the collapsible content
behavior the best (arrows/chevrons vs +/-).

After much more web based research I think I will stick to '<' for
collapsed and 'v' for expanded as using +/- icons can confuse users that
this is as an 'add/remove' action.

And sorry Alex, I see only a small sampling of reference to an '^' arrow
to show collapsed content.

Interesting to note that when using arrows the icon shows the 'current'
state but when using +/- the icons show the 'action' state.

Don't you just love UI transitions, as in the 'hamburger' menu icon...

Bradford C. Vokey
- Director
Fortress Software Incorporated
390 Provencher Blvd Unit F