[RndTbl] Real-world use of regexes

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Tue Feb 2 01:38:24 CST 2016

On 2016-02-02 Adam Thompson wrote:
> http://regexcrossword.com/
>
> Awesome, why didn't someone think of this sooner???

Hah!  Thanks, and I was planning on getting some work done tonight!

Took me like 5 mins to get the first one, I had no idea what was going
on... then I got it.  After that first one it's about 30s per easy
puzzle.  The first Shakespeare one took me about 5 mins though.  Tough!

Like Sudoku there's a lot of little "freebies" and heuristics you can
deduce and employ.

I wonder, is this good practice for people trying to learn regex or is
it a monstrosity that will scare them away?  In any event, I don't
think we'll start seeing this in the daily papers anytime soon :-)

-1 for not using PCRE :-)

Now, are these being generated by a human or a computer (like Sudoku)?
Obviously they can be validated by a computer, but auto-generating a
"good" puzzle?  Hmmmm...