[RndTbl] process accouting, fields meaning?

Grigory Shamov Grigory.Shamov at umanitoba.ca
Tue Apr 26 18:01:16 CDT 2016

Hi All,

Following up on the Adam's old presentation on Linux process accounting.
Does anyone know the meaning of fields in the pacct file?
The utility dump-acct dumps it in a plaintext lines separated by | . Like
this:

sh               |   0.0|   0.0|  11.0|    0|    0|107328.0|   19284
3258|Tue Apr 26 04:17:07 2016

First three floats are runtimes, then UID|GID; last is the date it ended.
Googling brought me "memory" and "io" for the two other fields but I am
still at loss.
What is memory here? And why io is two numbers (read/write? Which is
which?)

Does anyone know? (I am trying to avoid reading the sources of dump-acct
or system headers). Thanks!

--
Grigory Shamov

Westgrid/ComputeCanada Site Lead