[RndTbl] very strange DNS errors

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed Apr 20 23:01:06 CDT 2016

On 2016-04-20 Theodore Baschak wrote:
> I just ran this from home on my caching bind resolver about 12 times
> and I had 1 dig +short gymcan.org fail out of all of the runs, and it
> came back almost immediately, not a 5s timeout. I am my own internet
> provider for myself (in terms of IP access) as of last Tuesday, so I
> know I'm not seeing Shaw or MTS middleware messing with my packets.

Wow!  Thanks a ton!  That rules out a lot of possibilities and makes me
feel a lot better.  I guess it's just something I will have to live
with, as long as it's limited to a few domains only.

Isn't it curious how the failures occur super quickly, rather than
taking some reasonable timeout amount of time... that's what I see too.

Interesting the others didn't fail for you, but I see that too, where
one will be flakier than the others at random.  I wouldn't be surprised
if running the test at another time gives you a different result.