[RndTbl] Setting resource limits in Ubuntu 14.04

Kevin McGregor kevin.a.mcgregor at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 10:24:01 CDT 2015

I have a server VM running Ubuntu 14.04. It mostly just runs apt-cacher-ng,
which I suspect is running into its limit on open files. What's the proper
way to increase this limit? I know there's the limit in
/etc/security/limits.conf, but I've read elsewhere that doesn't apply! I've
also read about "stanzas" for "Upstart" in Ubuntu, but I have no idea where
to look for the right place to put that. I'm expecting something like
limit nofiles 20000
or some such. I believe the process is running under its own userid
"apt-cacher-ng".

Any pointers?

Kevin