[RndTbl] LVM import question

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Tue Nov 3 11:48:00 CST 2015

On 15-11-03 10:55 AM, Kevin McGregor wrote:
> I would like to be able to temporarily move a disk from one Linux
> system to another. The disk has a complete LVM2 volume group on it
> which I would like to mount on the second system. However, I may or
> may not be able to mark the volume group as "exported".
>
> Is there any way to import a volume group which isn't marked as
> "exported"? Or to use the destination system to mark it as such?
>
> Background: I've been tasked with creating a Linux VM (Virtual
> Machine) with ClamAV on it which can scan other Linux VM disks. To do
> that I assumed I'd shut down the target system and mount its disks on
> the scanning VM, do the scan, then remove the target disks from the
> scanning VM.
>
> Is there a better way?
>
> Kevin

Boot a LiveCD on the to-be-scanned VM?

Actually, I would boot a LiveCD in the dedicated VM anyway. Sysresccd
works well, and usually has a reasonably-up-to-date version of ClamAV.
Also, it doesn't require 3D video, so it works well in a VM (unlike,
say, Ubuntu, CentOS 7, etc.).

If you want a regular HDD (vdd?) installed linux system anyway, simply
running "pvs", "vgs", "lvs" and then mounting the FS out of /dev/mapper
should work.  You might have to do a "{pv,vg,lv}change -ay" if it's not
marked as active.  Do NOT flag it as exported once you're done scanning
it, or the origin system may refuse to automount it.

If you're running in VMware, I would recommend hot-adding the volume to
the scanning VM so that it never accidentally tries to boot off it.

-Adam