[RndTbl] LVM import question

Kevin McGregor kevin.a.mcgregor at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 10:55:35 CST 2015

I would like to be able to temporarily move a disk from one Linux system to
another. The disk has a complete LVM2 volume group on it which I would like
to mount on the second system. However, I may or may not be able to mark
the volume group as "exported".

Is there any way to import a volume group which isn't marked as "exported"?
Or to use the destination system to mark it as such?

Background: I've been tasked with creating a Linux VM (Virtual Machine)
with ClamAV on it which can scan other Linux VM disks. To do that I assumed
I'd shut down the target system and mount its disks on the scanning VM, do
the scan, then remove the target disks from the scanning VM.

Is there a better way?

Kevin