[RndTbl] SCSI cable length

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Fri Jul 3 23:44:27 CDT 2015

On 2015-07-03 Hartmut W Sager wrote:
> I presume you (Trevor) know all about having to set each SCSI
> drive/device, including the host adapter, to a unique SCSI ID, yes?

Thanks Adam & Hartmut for all the good info.

Using that and a few more web reads it looks like you're right in that
you can't tell squat from the connector.  So the device is probably
just SE SCSI and I can't do a long cable.

Ya, I know all about SCSI ID's, etc, my main workstation is still
running 15k SCSI drives (U320 LVD).  At one time I had 9 SCSI devices
plugged into my main workstation, but that was a while ago.

I've decided to build a little "outboard computer" with all the myriad
parts I have around: it would be about the same size / trouble as an
external SCSI case.  Even better is it's free.  I'll just power it up
when I need it and have scripts auto-control it off the lan, then power
it down.  Cheesy, but it will work.

> Life with SATA and USB really is more pleasant.

Yes, I could possibly make things work with a long eSATA setup, but
that would cost money for external enclosure, cables, etc.  USB can't
do what I need because of the intermediary layers.

> Oh, I also forgot to ask:  Which museum relinquished this device?  :)

The Cordes Computer Museum, aka my basement.  Tons of SCSI stuff around
here!

P.S. from my reading it looks like everything "ultra2" and higher (wide
or not) is automatically LVD.