[RndTbl] OpenCSW Solaris packages

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed Dec 9 00:41:45 CST 2015

On 2015-12-08 Adam Thompson wrote:
> https://www.opencsw.org/

And to use Oracle DB in perl you need the module named "DBI" and the
so-called driver for Oracle in DBI: "DBD::Oracle".

If you can find those in "packages" instead of self-compiling, that
helps.  DBI comes standard in perl now I think?

At the very minimum, get perl from a repo like Adam says, and use cpan
to build the modules.  It's not hard and is pretty stable once you have
your build environment setup.

My one recommendation against the default config in cpan is to turn
*off* automatic recursive prerequisite building.  That usually ends in
disaster.  I would have it report the prereq's, which it does on the
build step, and then chase them down manually one by one.  It doesn't
take as long as you'd think.

If you need more tips, etc, I'm a (self-proclaimed!) perl expert, ask
away; but I can't help you with Solaris specifics.  But I feel your
pain... back when I was AIX-only for 6 years I faced the exact same
problems. And then linux came and made all the pain go away.  :-)
Well, almost all.