[RndTbl] Shaw email - new woes

Hartmut W Sager hwsager at marityme.net
Sun Apr 26 13:09:38 CDT 2015

>> For a Tucows/OpenSRS reseller, that SMTP server costs $0.50 per month
>> - a negligible cost.

> That sounds great, I didn't know about that.  I will see if I can find
> it in their ever-changing wacky interface (unless you know the secret
> location!).  Any gotchas or limitations?

I can only think of one gotcha/limitation:  They (Tucows/OpenSRS) start you
with a daily outbound limit of about 50 e-mails, and they ramp it up very
rapidly (almost daily) to about 500 based on your good behaviour.

Indeed, good luck finding this stuff in their ever-changing wacky interface
though!  And I'm not about to torture myself explaining that in writing.
To help you, I'd have to be on the phone with you and in my Tucows/OpenSRS
interface at the same time.  One hint:  Use their new (overall screwy)
interface for this one.

> Oh ya, their email also hinted that if I change sendmail to send to
> their smarthost via auth/encrypted port 587, ...

I send from Gmail with SSL on port 465 (they also allow TLS on port 587)
using my Shaw consumer ISP (no static IP address), with no problems ever.

Here's an excerpt from my Gmail config area:

[... name deleted ...] <info at marityme.com>
Not an alias.
Mail is sent through: smtp-1.marityme.com
Secured connection on port 465 using SSL

The SMTP server smtp-1.marityme.com is just a CNAME to my Tucows/OpenSRS
SMTP server (with a very long name) - it makes me look more professional
that way.

Also, with the "not an alias" option selected, the detailed header source
code seen at the receiving end does not show my Gmail address.

Hartmut W Sager - Tel +1-204-339-8331