[RndTbl] Distributed/replicated home directories?

Gerald Brandt gbr at majentis.com
Tue Apr 21 06:53:38 CDT 2015

On 2015-04-20 4:24 PM, Adam Thompson wrote:
> I'm looking for the sweet spot between:
>
>  - NFS-mounted home directories, which allow easy central management
> and are portable across every workstation, but are (typically, and in
> my case) IOPS-limited,
>
> and
>
>  - local home directories, which are tied to the workstation but offer
> great performance
>
> At this point I'm seriously considering things like GlusterFS, Lustre,
> CephFS, etc., because the NFS performance sucks so badly for doing
> things like a) running Chrome, and b) running VirtualBox.
>
> Looking for ideas...
>
> Avant logo 	*Adam Thompson*
> Senior Systems Administrator
> *voice:* 204.789.9596 x24 | *email:* athompson at avant.ca
> <mailto:athompson at avant.ca> | *web:* avant.ca <http://avant.ca/>

I'd stay away from Gluster for home directories... too many small
files.  The performance drops dramatically.  I used gluster for virtual
machines images, and performance was good.

My solution for syncing home directories turned into using Bittorrent
Sync.  Replication isn't immediate, but it's fast enough.  I also
decided to sync only a single directory and not the whole home dir.
That way, as a user, I could specify what I wanted to sync and what I
didn't.  For example, one machine has a huge downloads directory.  No
use syncing that to my Mac laptop.

Gerald