[RndTbl] SSL

Sean Walberg sean at ertw.com
Fri Jun 13 06:45:01 CDT 2014

The higher end certificates come with more insurance. Usually the terms of
the insurance are such that cashing it in is impossible, but that's another
issue.

It's marketing. The higher priced places are not selling to you, they're
selling to people that want to buy the perception of security through a) a
higher cost and b) selling a name.

I've worked at multiple companies where buy the top tier certs because the
higher ups want the site seal from a recognized place. One employer has a
portal where the tech staff orders SSL certs, they don't get to see the
prices and the only two options are wildcard and EV. Yes, EV certs for
staging environments, too. And that portal only works on Internet Explorer
:(

That said, since many articles have been written showing the results of an
A/B test almost universally point to site seals and lock icons increasing
sales, it's not a stretch to think that name recognition of the seals may
also have an effect. So paying $1,000 for an SSL certificate that actually
increases sales may be worth it in some cases.

Sean

Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>    http://ertw.com/