[RndTbl] MitM on IMAPS?

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Sat Jan 18 17:07:15 CST 2014

On 2014-01-18 Sean Walberg wrote:

> Wildcard wise, wildcards only work for one level of subdomain and not
> on EV certs.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll slog through implementing the ideas
tonight.  As I thought, it's not as simple as it looks to be.  I'm sure
I'll have more questions.

Just a quick Q on wildcards/certs: so if I'm understanding right, a
wildcard doesn't help a hacker, as they can't buy a * they must buy a
*.something.com, right?

Yes, there would be the issue of a rogue CA selling a malicious wifi
hotspot guy *.mydomain.com but there's no way they could do that on the
fly quickly while I sit down at their wifi for only 15 mins and never
return.  Right?  I guess my question was more whether they could
instantly generate MitM certs for everyone who connects and intercept
everything easily.  (I thought that is what some hotspots do for HTTPS?)

In all cases, I am assuming I have sole, complete physical control and
access to my phone, and that the OS hasn't been compromised.  After
all, you have to start somewhere and assume some level of security.
And if they rootkitted my phone, them getting my IMAP credentials would
be the least of my worries.

Thanks!