[RndTbl] Linux "parent ready"?

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Thu Feb 13 02:37:22 CST 2014

On 2014-02-12 Mark Jenkins wrote:

> I probably also said, "would you like to spend $1xx.xx on a Windows
> Retail License?" seeing how we were working with a whitebox built
> from parts.

Thanks for everyone's input.  Yes, a cost of "free" is also a bonus if
we go with Linux, though it would not be the sole deciding factor.

I think I may give Linux a try.  I will certainly report back with the
results, in a few months.  An eye towards a "LTS" type distro would
certainly be desirable, though I'm already adept at keeping 20+ Fedora
boxen updated (entirely remotely/headless!) to the latest version every
year (every 2 releases, when support ends).

As for tablets, I'm not sure moving parents in that direction is
ideal.  For one, they don't like change.  Second, I don't think she'd
like the ergonomics.  Third, I'm not convinced tablets are the "future",
in the sense that desktops will completely disappear (anyone remember
netbooks, they were the "future" once too!).  I like tablets for
what they are good for, the odd lookup of something while watching tv,
or casually keeping up with junk mail. I would never sit at a tablet to
do serious (wordy!) email or composing some essay in a word processor!!
The clunky interfaces aren't even great for my style of web browsing,
where I tend to middle-click the next twelve links and peruse from
there.

I won't even get into the thought of doing all my programming and admin
work on a tablet!  I think I'd go all hari-kari.

But that's a whole other discussion!