[RndTbl] Linux "mom ready"?

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Wed Feb 12 11:00:59 CST 2014

Off topic but I used StudioTax last year which as far as I know is the only
completely free (as in beer) tax software that also includes netfile. I had
no problems but my taxes are pretty simple. Unfortunately It's Windows only.

Back on topic; personally, if the needs are just email, browser and skype,
I'd go with a tablet. I prefer Android tablets because it integrates with
Google in an optimal way and for my personal stuff that works for me.

John

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Kevin McGregor
<kevin.a.mcgregor at gmail.com>wrote:

> You'll have to judge for yourself what she can cope with. I'm just glad I
> switched my Dad from XP to 7 a couple of years ago as he's no longer
> especially agile, mentally.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Feb 12, 2014, at 5:13 AM, Trevor Cordes <trevor at tecnopolis.ca> wrote:
> >
> > Faced with an expiring XP, I had a thought about moving my mother
> > (complete techno-luddite) to Linux.  She only needs an office suite (OOo
> > instead of Word should do), Skype (works fine on linux, and her webcam is
> > supported), an email app (evolution/thunderbird instead of Outlook), and
> > that's about it.
> >
> > It's Linux or Win7.
> >
> > If I'm setting up and admin'ing, are there any downsides really?  I can
> > make it look/behave much like XP, so the learning curve may be smaller
> > than with Win7.
> >
> > Am I delusional because I breathe Linux?  Or can this be done?
> >
> > Corollary: What distro?

John Lange
www.johnlange.ca