[RndTbl] fire alarms

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed Dec 17 16:50:45 CST 2014

On 2014-12-17 Robert Dyck wrote:
> I made some calls. None of them know how to deal with this. I called
[...]
> for hazardous waste. They Won't take it either. But when I phoned

Thanks Robert & Kevin!  I'm puzzled by the lackadaisical attitude
towards these things by the Thou Shalt Recycle Everything Powers That
Be.  The alarms say right on them not to throw them in the garbage.

(Also wondering why there isn't this info on the CoWinnipeg site which
lists nearly everything else known to man.)

<rant to="no one in particular">
The alarms are mostly normal circuit-board with normal active & passive
electronic parts.  Minus the radioactive self-contained bit, the thing
really should go to an e-waste place.  So instead of treating the nasty
radioactive bit as more deserving of diversion from the landfill, we
compound the error by saying the normally-recycled PCB bits need to be
landfilled too.  Ironic.

So the mercury in CCFL's and the lead in pre-ROHS motherboards are too
dangerous in the landfill but some Americium-241 is hunky dory?  Drink
that in your water supply!
</rant>