[RndTbl] 32->64

Sean Walberg sean at ertw.com
Tue Aug 26 21:25:10 CDT 2014

If you're starting from scratch, I can't speak highly enough about
configuration management tools like Chef, Puppet, Ansible, cfengine, etc.
The time spent getting up to speed will pay itself back many times over.
Reinstalls become a non event. Finding out "what changed" isn't an issue.
You can spin up new boxes, even if there are customizations to each one.

As an aside, you don't need to start from scratch to make use of config
management. If you can just start off managing your motd and ntpd on
existing boxes, you'll soon start finding reasons to bring stuff under
config management rather than one offs.

http://ertw.com/chef-walberg-winnipegrb/ is a presentation I gave at
WinnipegRB about some of the work I was doing with Chef at the time. While
the demo is obviously missing there are some code snippets at the end that
show what you can do with the tools.

Sean

Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>    http://ertw.com/