[RndTbl] IBM "clicky" keyboards

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Sun Sep 29 09:52:01 CDT 2013

Lange wrote:

>> I honestly don't know what you old fogies are going
on about... Those old keyboards are stiff and hard to type on. I can
type about 30% faster on a laptop keyboard that has minimal key travel
than I can on

> OMG, laptop keyboards and modern cheap PC keyboards
are complete
> garbage, and the Mac Air / Intel Ultrabook super thin
ones are even
> worse! I don't know how you can stand to use them, let
alone believe
> they speed up your typing.

I see you missed the "TROLL"
tag in John's email...

*Some* people type faster on tactile keyboards,
whereas other people type faster on chicklets or low-key-travel
mechanisms. I think it largely depends what you learned to type on, and
also on how you process sensory information and how your brain handles
the task of typing.

FWIW, I haven't used a clicky keyboard in >2yrs
(or so) and am quite able to live without one. I *do* still miss them,
though. Even the semi-tactile ones like the MS Natural Keyboard are
better than the soft-touch keyboard I use right now. (For those of you
that are wondering: I needed a very lightweight, low-force keyboard for
use with my Erogotron sit/stand monitor stand, to stop the monitor from
bouncing all over the place!)

-Adam