[RndTbl] Linux distro for Pentium III

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Mon Oct 7 14:42:14 CDT 2013

On 2013-10-06 23:46, Robert Dyck wrote:
> I have a customer who wants a laptop with Linux. My impression is he
> wants to learn Linux. I have refurbished laptops: IBM ThinkPad A21m,
> with Pentium III processor @ 750 MHz, 512MB RAM, and I can upgrade the
> hard drive to 40GB. Which distro of Linux would you recommend?

Just off the top of my head, I'd say Puppy Linux might be a good choice.
  It's one of the only tiny Linux distros that I've actually booted up
to have a look at.

There are a few more to choose from, as can be seen here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution

(Not sure if all the above will run on a PIII, but my guess is most
would, since they're aimed at the older/smaller systems.)

A Google search will likely point you in the right direction...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=small+linux+distro+for+pentium+iii

By the looks of it, this question gets discussed a fair bit.

> I would ask Mike Pfaiffer, but he passed away earlier this year.

MUUG has lost 4 members so far this year (actually since February),
sadly.  I hope this isn't a trend...  :(

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail: <gedetil at muug.mb.ca>
Manitoba UNIX User Group	Web:	http://www.muug.mb.ca/