[RndTbl] snail mail spam ...

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Fri Mar 22 15:18:08 CDT 2013

You're quite right, Dan.  I was sloppy when I typed in the organization
name and domain in my e-mail.  It is indeed "counsel", not "council", in
both.  So it does seem to be legit after all. Funny they don't make
things more obvious on their web site, or in the branding used in the
e-mail, because it really looked suspect to me.  With all the scams
going on, especially those targeting domain owners, you'd think an
organization with the wherewithal of CIRA would pay more attention to
important details like that.

Anyway, thanks for contacting CIRA about this, Dan.  I had thought about
doing that myself, but had decided to just let it slide until the
coincidental arrival in my inbox of this whole discussion thread and the
second e-mail from the Strategic Counsel.

Gilles

On 03/22/2013 12:07 PM, Dan Keizer wrote:
> I contacted CIRA  -- they do use the Strategic Counsel (note the
> spelling) to conduct an annual satisfaction survey.  Note, though, that
> the domain you mentioned is spelled differently and just points to a
> domain-for-sale page of some sort ...
> They also indicate it is random and it is possible that an individual
> would receive more than one request.
>
> If you'd like to confirm the authenticity, CIRA has a nice on-line
> "type" session to ask questions directly to their support people ... or
> their 1-877-860-1411 number.
>
> Dan.
>

> On 13-03-22 11:13 AM, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
>> On a similar vein, have any of you been receiving e-mails from an
>> organization called "The Strategic Council", asking you to complete a
>> survey they claim to be on behalf of CIRA?  The strategiccouncil.com
>> is registered to someone in Toronto, but the survey is on
>> researchnow.com which is registered in the UK.  CIRA makes no mention
>> of this survey on its web site, so the e-mail looks quite dodgy to
>> me.  I've gotten two of these so far and I've just ignored them.
>>
>> Gilles
>>
>> On 03/21/2013 08:11 PM, Bill Reid wrote:
>>> I see that CIRA is very concerned about DRoC.
>>>
>>> Here are some references:
>>> http://www.itbusiness.ca/news/alleged-domain-slammers-lose-dot-ca-licence-sue-cira-10-million/15404
>>>

>>> http://www.itworldcanada.com/news/cira-investigating-dot-ca-phishing-scammers/145964
>>>

>>> Here is a good summary of the past few years:
>>> http://www.yummymummyclub.ca/blogs/eileen-fisher-gigamom/20121128/scam-alert-domain-registry-of-canada
>>>

>>> -- Bill

Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>
Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW:    http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/
Dept. Physiology, U. of Manitoba  Winnipeg, MB  R3E 0J9  (Canada)