[RndTbl] Dimensional hard drives?

Hartmut W Sager hwsager at marityme.net
Mon Jan 21 17:36:51 CST 2013

 That's hilarious!  It also reminds me of an old tagline:

2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.

So, what is the outer width of a 5.25 inch device?  (I know, I could just
go measure a CD/DVD drive, but I'm not near a raw drive right now.)

Yes, your comments are correct as to how these misquoted dimensions came
about.  As for lumber, which is badly misquoted in the other direction
(especially the ubiquitous 2x4), I once heard an explanation for that, but
have forgotten it.  Anyone know?  (Definitely on topic.  I may want to
build a computer rack out of lumber.  [grin])

Hartmut Sager