[RndTbl] Hard drives

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Sun Jan 13 20:06:27 CST 2013

Seagate has had a bad few years in terms of both reliability and compatibility, but MAY be on the upswing again.

WD has been plugging along at about 10%-20% higher prices than Seagate, but without the major problems.

HGST has an on-again/off-again relationship with quality… but their enterprise drives seem solid.

Above all, make sure you carefully check out the MTBF and POH specs for any drive you’re considering – many new drives aren’t rated to *SPIN* 24x7 anymore.

Lastly, I now suggest buying retail from a local provider to whom you can (relatively) easily return them.  The age of the reliable HDD seems to be over.

-Adam