[RndTbl] out of inodes

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Fri Dec 13 09:37:16 CST 2013

On 12/12/2013 4:21 PM, Trevor Cordes wrote:
> 3. Quotas might be able to help, but I'm not talking about public
> systems here, I'm talking about my own personal home desktop.  Surely
> no one is running quotas against themselves on their personal home
> system?  And surely that can't be offered as a "sane" solution the
> average Joe is supposed to implement.

Quotas should indeed be able to help with this.  You can limit the
number of blocks and the number of files allowed per user per volume.
Yes, it would be odd to implement quotas on your own personal system,
but if it helps to treat a misbehaving application the way you would a
misbehaving user, that is an option that's available to you.

It's my understanding that even without quotas, most file systems will
reserve the last n % of blocks for root, to prevent non-root users from
exhausting all blocks on a volume.  I find it a bit surprising that they
don't seem to do likewise with the last several inodes.

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>
Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW:    http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/