[RndTbl] Here's the December 2013 MUUG Newsletter

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Tue Dec 3 15:50:47 CST 2013

On 2013-12-03 15:06, Colin Stanners wrote:
> Acclaim to the new board of directors!

Thank you!

> I didn't think it cost $500/yr of postage for the newsletter - seems
> high for a tech group. I don't know about others but I've been
> subscribed just to remind me how quaint it is to receive information on
> dead trees and will turn that off.

Well, at 63 cents/stamp (plus GST), it adds up quickly when you have
50-60 newsletter/month, 10x/year.  (Note also that we buy stamps in
quantity, so costs can vary from year to year for that reason too,
depending one exactly when they're bought and what FY it falls into.)

Now that we're down to 33 newsletters/month, we should expect to see a
significant drop in postage costs.  That's why we're encouraging members
to consider the e-mail delivery option.

> Why does MUUG pay $350-$700/yr for a PO box? Does it receive anything?

At one point, we were receiving large parcels with freebies from vendors
(CD's, t-shirts, and the like) on a semi-regular basis, but that's kind
of dried up now.  We could get by with a smaller PO box now, to deal
with the various mail we still do receive (including application forms,
and the occasional newsletter returned to sender), but that would mean
changing address, which would mean wasting pre-printed envelopes, as
well as some hassle.

We are considering what to do about that for the longer term, but up
until now, the decision has always been to just renew for another year.
  (And note that the amount reported was high this year since it
represents 2 years of renewals.)

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail: <gedetil at muug.mb.ca>
Manitoba UNIX User Group	Web:	http://www.muug.mb.ca/