[RndTbl] boot and install from USB key

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Sun Sep 23 13:06:47 CDT 2012

> I have a new machine containing an unformatted SATA drive.  I want
> to boot the IPCOP linux distro from a USB key, and install it onto
> the hard drive.  Available files / images:
>
> ipcop-2.0.3-update.i486.tgz.gpg
> ipcop-2.0.3-install-avmdrv.i486.tgz
> ipcop-2.0.3-install-cd.i486.iso
> ipcop-2.0.3-install-netboot.i486.tgz
> ipcop-2.0.3-install-usb-fdd.i486.img.gz
> ipcop-2.0.3-install-usb-hdd.i486.img.gz
> ipcop-2.0.3-install-usb-zip.i486.img.gz
>
> I have unpacked and copied (alternately) ipcop-2.0.3-install-usb-
> fdd.i486.img and ipcop-2.0.3-install-usb-zip.i486.img to a USB key
> using dd (on a Mac).
>
> After several tries - I presume because of boot order - the IPCOP
> splash screen appears and allows me to choose some setup options.
> When I get to the "Select Source" screen I am presented with 2
> CDROM/USB-KEY or
> HTTP/FTP
>
> When I choose the first option, it gives the error "No CD-ROM
> found".  No, there isn't a CD-ROM, but there is the USB key that it
> booted from in the first place.
>
> The initial setup will also allow me to go to "Rescue mode", though
> I'm not sure what tools are available or what I might do from there.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Dan Martin
> GP Hospital Practitioner
> Computer Scientist
> ummar143 at shaw.ca
> (204) 831-1746
> answering machine always on

Well, one obvious thought - try the usb-hdd variant, since that's what
most modern BIOSes want.  (They're all _supposed_ to work with all three
variants, but it seems most manufacturers don't bother testing that.)

Also, how are you dd'ing it on a Mac?  Are you using of=/Volumes/Whatever
or of=/dev/dsk_something ?

-Adam Thompson
 athompso at athompso.net