[RndTbl] boot and install from USB key

Dan Martin ummar143 at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 23 12:52:21 CDT 2012

I have a new machine containing an unformatted SATA drive.  I want to boot the IPCOP linux distro from a USB key, and install it onto the hard drive.  Available files / images:

ipcop-2.0.3-update.i486.tgz.gpg
ipcop-2.0.3-install-avmdrv.i486.tgz
ipcop-2.0.3-install-cd.i486.iso
ipcop-2.0.3-install-netboot.i486.tgz
ipcop-2.0.3-install-usb-fdd.i486.img.gz
ipcop-2.0.3-install-usb-hdd.i486.img.gz
ipcop-2.0.3-install-usb-zip.i486.img.gz

I have unpacked and copied (alternately) ipcop-2.0.3-install-usb-fdd.i486.img and ipcop-2.0.3-install-usb-zip.i486.img to a USB key using dd (on a Mac).

After several tries - I presume because of boot order - the IPCOP splash screen appears and allows me to choose some setup options.  When I get to the "Select Source" screen I am presented with 2 options:
CDROM/USB-KEY or
HTTP/FTP

When I choose the first option, it gives the error "No CD-ROM found".  No, there isn't a CD-ROM, but there is the USB key that it booted from in the first place.

The initial setup will also allow me to go to "Rescue mode", though I'm not sure what tools are available or what I might do from there.

Any ideas?

Dan Martin
GP Hospital Practitioner
Computer Scientist