[RndTbl] Business Basic BBx Data Extraction

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Wed Jun 20 14:34:59 CDT 2012

You haven't been led astray - flat file goes not necessarily mean text or human-readable.  The data is in an ISAM format, and you will either need to locate and purchase one of the data extraction tools that used to be on the market, or write an extraction routine yourself in BBx.
There is a very small amount of information out there about their file format, if you want to try writing a BBx decoding library from scratch.
It might be much easier to set up a dummy printer and print out each patient's complete file - there's likely a print routine in the software.  Then take the output and parse it with your favourite programming language.  If you get fancy with a printcap definition, you might find ways of making the parsing easier.  This still might require a temp sitting at a terminal for several days printing one file at a time.
I've done one AIX to Linux conversion of a BBx app... I'm never doing that again except on a time-and-materials basis, for about $500/hr with no estimates up front.
BBx is a decent programming language (especially for its time) but they have (or had, it's been a few years) absolutely no idea how to package their software, or how to build it in a portable manner.  I remember having to exclude libc from updates because the interpreter would break on anything except the EXACT version they had compiled against.
Which, fyi, means any system running a BBx app probably has multiple exploitable bugs that have long since been patched.
Have fun,
-Adam