[RndTbl] Business Basic BBx Data Extraction

Michael Sierks msierks at gwn.ca
Wed Jun 20 13:36:54 CDT 2012

Hello All,

I have an issue with some software that is well before my time and was
hoping someone from the muug group would be of assistance. I have been
tasked with extracting data from the following program.

Assyst Practice Managment (GENIE) Software
V8.8.6 an Emergis Inc. Product(STX.EME)

This program itself is running on an old AIX 5.1 server and has been
written in BBx Pro5, a language I didn't even know existed. This
language appears to be an extension of Basic and is know as Business
Basic. Written by this company.

http://www.basis.com/.

Now the trouble is this program has no built in way of
dumping/extracting the data. It isn't using Pro/5's built in data
storage engine so I cannot simply use ODBC to pull the data out. We have
been informed it is storing all its data in a flat file. And the best
way to retrieve the data is by reading backups from the tape drive,
which we have done so. The data files retrieved mostly end in the ".REC"
and ".SUB" file extensions and appear to contain some patient info. But
the largest file that seems to contain most data begins with the text
"<<bbx>>" and is definetely not stored as flatfile.

Does anyone have experience with this BBx language or does anybody have
any ideas for extracting the data ? I ask because the company that has
written this practice management software has no interest in assisting
with exporting the data. Any suggestions are appreciated.