[RndTbl] simple name service

VE4PER/ Andy ve4per at aim.com
Sun Jan 22 14:50:59 CST 2012

most routers I have seen have IP address reservation option available;
just set DNS gateway in w/s's to point to
the gateway router for gateway and dns addy. Set the DHCP in the router
to be enabled and create a list of essentially static assigned reserved
addresses corresponding to specified MAC addresses that you have.

works ok locally using hostnames instead of ip addies; unless you lose
the gateway and have to sub with a switch then you will need accurate
host files.

Only problem I have have found is if running a s/w firewall that you
lock on w/s's inside the home network or if you drop the WAN connexion
to outside world windows boxes will cause their assigned ip addresses to
change to the default 169. series of addresses because an active real
dns server h/s is missing. There was a reg fix for that but it soon was
defeated on subsequent updates so now that doesn't work either.