[RndTbl] wireless basics

Sean Walberg sean at ertw.com
Sun Jan 22 09:18:28 CST 2012

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Dan Martin <ummar143 at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Since 2 MAC addresses are given, I assume the "Airport ID" is to manage
> the device over wireless, and the "Ethernet ID" is to manage it over wired.
>  Is the IP address mapped to both of these?

You should be able to ping it from both sides and see the MAC being used in
the output of "arp -a"

We're also oversimplifying this. The MAC on a switch is used for many
things, such as spanning tree or the management frames that wireless needs.
None of these use IP, and you don't see them unless you're looking for them.

Sean

--
Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>    http://ertw.com/