[RndTbl] wireless basics

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Sat Jan 21 18:53:08 CST 2012

I don't mean to sound rude, but you're right: you need a good grasp on
anatomy before doing surgery.

It sounds to me like you may have the concepts of IP address and MAC
address backwards.

I can explain briefly (with a few over-simplifications that shouldn't
matter in most cases):

Every Ethernet and every Wi-Fi device has a MAC address, which is not only
unique to that device but also to that interface.  So a PC with two
Ethernet ports and a wireless card would have three separate MAC
addresses.
The MAC address is only used to identify a machine (more specifically, its
interface) on the network it's connected to; they are not used elsewhere.
There is a protocol (hidden from you) that allows your computers and
routers to automatically translate an IP address into a MAC address, but
only for devices mutually connected to the same network.

Many "wireless routers" or "access points" simply join a wired network and
a wireless network together so that they jointly seem to be one continuous
network.

A router (including some wireless routers) also connects one (or more)
local network(s) to another, foreign network.  For example, many readers
here will have a local (home) network that connects to MTS or Shaw - a
router is required to mediate between the two networks.
Some routers perform Address Translation ("NAT") which hides your local IP
addresses behind a single public IP address, so that MTS or Shaw doesn't
have to know anything about all your devices at home - they all masquerade
as a single device connected to your ISP.
Your Linux box (probably using iptables masquerading) is probably
performing this NAT function - and in this role, it is functioning as a
router.  (More precisely, it IS a router.)

I'm not familiar with CentreCom, but if it was a router, it definitely had
at least two MAC addresses.  One of those MAC addresses would have been
visible to machines on your home network, and the other would have been
visible to your ISP's upstream router.  There would not have been any
reason for you to be personally aware of what these MAC addresses were.

Your base station is acting as a pure Wireless Access Point ("WAP", which
can also mean other things), which makes wireless devices seem to be
directly connected to the wired network.  It does not participate in IP
routing; it has an IP address so you can more easily manage it from your
PC.
Depending on the model, it may optionally be able to function as a router
(like your linux box), in which case it would participate in IP routing.

IPv6 routing tables function somewhat differently from IPv4 routing
tables, at least in terms of what you see without peeking under the hood -
it's very common to see MAC addresses embedded in IPv6 addresses, this is
IPv6 automatic address assignment at work and you can ignore it unless you
want to use IPv6 for something.

You may have already deduced the answer, but no, dedicated routers look
EXACTLY like your Linux box (to other devices on the network), and perform
almost exactly the same functions.  The main reasons to use a dedicated
router are (not simultaneously!): smaller size, higher performance,
consistency of management or brand-name, proprietary routing protocols.
To make the point even clearer, the large $1M+ Cisco routers being
deployed today actually run a version of Linux.  Much of their routing
functionality is done with high-speed dedicated hardware, not a Linux
kernel process, but the same functions occur in either case.
The MAC addresses on your base station are mandatory - that's part of the
Ethernet spec and part of the WiFi spec.  Its IP address is used for
management.

You should never see or handle MAC addresses in general everyday use; only
network engineers see MAC addresses, and even then they're (usually) only
used as a tool to for looking up information while performing diagnostics.

I've skipped over a lot of details and a lot of formalisms, but what I've
said should hold true for 99.9% of home users (and probably 98%+ of
business users for that matter).  I know I have at least 46 distinct MAC
addresses in my basement right now, plugged into the network - and I have
absolutely no idea what any of them are, nor do I care.  On the other
hand, those all combined represent only 9 IP addresses and I know exactly
what all of those are.

-Adam Thompson
 athompso at athompso.net
 (204) 291-7950 - direct