[RndTbl] Here's a groan-inducing comment

Kevin McGregor kevin.a.mcgregor at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 08:41:03 CST 2012

One of our "operators" submitted an incident (like a problem report) this
morning:

Oper was able to ping server. Oper was able to open a console. There is no
> real OS on the server it's like a dos logon screen.. Systems please verify
> server status.

This is a virtual machine. Here's what's on the screen:

Symantec Messaging Gateway
Version 9.5.1-6
Copyright (c) 1998-2001 Symantec Corporation.  All rights reserved.

cowsvpsbg1 login:

Sigh. The VM is configured as "Red Hat Linux". I guess some training or at
least documentation is in order. But really, "no real OS"? It's an uphill
battle, that's for sure.

Kevin